An environmental chamber or climatic chamber is an enclosed area that is used to test the effects of particular environmental conditions on industrial products, machine components, electronics, and biological items. These climatic chambers are designed to artificially control certain conditions such as heat and humidity. Any environmental condition can be created artificially, such as an extremely hot, cold, or even corrosive environment. Read More…
Russells Technical ProductsHolland, MI | 616-392-3161
Russells Technical Products has been designing and manufacturing environmental test chambers since 1972. With over 150 years of combined management experience, our company provides its customers with quality environmental test systems and advanced manufacturing techniques. Russells offers a variety of standard and custom designed chambers to meet your exact specifications.$$$
Cincinnati Sub-Zero (CSZ)Cincinnati, OH | 877-233-9871
We are leading environmental test chamber brand with over 78 years of experience designing environmental testing solutions. Over the years we have developed products for ease-of-use, reliability and performance designed to meet our customer’s testing needs and improve the safety and reliability of their products. We have a legacy of providing high quality solutions for temperature, humidity, altitude, thermal shock, combined environments, HALT/HASS and more; in sizes ranging from benchtop to large walk-in/drive-in chamber for full-vehicle testing. Please contact us today for more information!$$$
Thermotron IndustriesHolland, MI | 616-393-4580
A pioneer since 1962, Thermotron has been building the most recognizable environmental test equipment in the industry. Every chamber and shaker sold is handcrafted in West Michigan and comes with an intuitive controller. From automotive and defense, to electronics and medical industries, Thermotron has helped companies small and large create more reliable products. When you need to know whether your product(s) will stand the test of time, rely on proven test chamber from Thermotron.”$$$
Weiss TechnikGrand Rapids, MI | 800-368-4768
As a leader in the test chamber industry we believe our systems are ideal for your company. We manufacture models that come standard with many useful features for testing applications. We believe that our advanced technologies are essential to the reliability of our products and our quality customer service is perfect for your needs. Feel free to visit our website or give us a call to learn more!$$$
Hastest SolutionsSan Jose, CA | 408-945-7861
Hastest Solutions designs, manufactures and provides solutions for all environmental testing needs. For the full range of environmental test chambers, including HAST, temp/humidity, salt fog, solar radiation, high temp ovens, autoclave, and more.$$$
Isotech, Inc.Hatfield, PA | 800-314-3332
Isotech specializes in state-of-the-art environmental test chambers. With our standard and custom test chambers we strive to offer our clients products that are specifically designed to fit their needs. Isotech offers technical specifications like copper screen enclosures, RF signals, and USC-26 and USC-44 series panels.$$$
Environmental Chambers Power Pages
An altitude chamber is a test chamber that is designed to simulate the altitude, vacuum, and temperature of environmental conditions at heights that match the flight patterns of all forms of aircraft, from commercial to military...
A climate chamber is an enclosed space that provides a controlled set of circumstances for testing the impact of various environmental and climatic conditions on industrial goods, commercial products, electronic devices, materials, and biological matter...
A test chamber is a managed and controlled environment used to test the endurance, stability, and practicality of equipment, products, and chemicals. They are a controlled enclosure that mimics the effects of environmental conditions that a product may encounter during its usage...
An environmental chamber is an enclosure used to test the effects of a variety of conditions on a product, component, part, or assembly. These highly technical pieces of equipment are capable of simulating the types of conditions a product may face while in use...
A humidity chamber is a mechanism that examines how products react when exposed to variations in humidity. This type of environmental testing is used by manufacturers to test the various parameters of their products in the harshest of conditions...
A temperature chamber is a controlled environment capable of producing conditions that a product will encounter during its use. These highly controlled technical tools are able to produce the types of hazards, uses, and atmospheres a product may endure...
The conditions may include:
- Extreme temperatures
- Thermal shock
- Moisture or relative humidity
- Corrosion testing
- Salt spray
The manufactured specimen is introduced into the chamber, and different conditions are applied according to requirements. The sizes of test chambers can vary from 1 cubic foot (30cm) to 12,000 cubic feet (3,600 m).
Working Principle of Climatic Chambers
- All conditions of the chambers are controlled manually through a wide range of mechanical processes.
- The temperature is controlled by electric resistors either cooling or heating up the refrigeration unit.
- Water vapors are introduced into the chambers by steam generators.
- The humidity level is adjusted by one of two methods, ultrasound technology or water evaporation with a heat source.
- Corrosive conditions are simulated by emitting salt spray on the product.
- Not every test chamber can simulate each and every type of condition.
- For testing a product in a specific condition, specified test chambers are engineered.
Types of Environmental Chambers
- The temperature test is the most important test for a product. It may continue for days or weeks with the same gradient.
- These tests are called thermostatic tests and are used to determine the resilience of a product against temperature extremes.
- The temperature can vary from -94°F (-70oC) to 356°F (180oC).
- The humidity test is the second most important test of a product.
- Humidity and temperature test chambers are linked with each other, as heat is required to produce humid conditions.
- The testing of a product can be done either in a static state without changing the conditions or in a dynamic or moving state.
- Vibration testing is done by using mechanical and electrodynamic shaking.
- The shaking can be horizontal, vertical, or along three different axes.
- A product is tested under a highly accelerated life test and highly accelerated screen test to check its liability.
- Stability chambers are used to test the shelf-life of the product for shipping and storage.
- It is done by creating controlled conditions of temperature and humidity over an extended period of time.
Corrosion Test Chambers
- These test chambers are used to determine the ability of a product to withstand a corrosive environment.
- A salt spray is applied to the product surface with the help of a nozzle in the chamber.
- This test chamber determines the quality of the coatings and finishings of the product.
Thermal Shock Chambers
- Thermal shock chambers are used to check the ability of the product to withstand sudden changes in environmental conditions, such as temperature and humidity.
- The specimen is put under rapid and successive changes of temperature of 86°F (30oC) every minute or more.
- Vacuum chambers are used to test the products that are used in the aerospace and defense industries.
- This test is performed by creating an extremely low air pressure and removing all other gasses from the enclosed chamber.
- These tests are performed to check the working of the product in a vacuum.
- Altitude chambers are used to test the product’s resilience under low pressure at high altitudes.
- These chambers can simulate an altitude of up to 98,000 ft (30,000 m).
- Decompression and explosive testing are also a part of this testing chamber.
- Anechoic testing is done to check how much noise a product is producing.
- This testing chamber is the size of a room with walls covered in materials to block any incoming sound.
- The anechoic chambers work with the elimination of echos and all other sounds.
Industries Using Environmental Chambers
Small environmental chambers are used to check the reliability of the automotive parts before assembly.
Electronics parts such as circuits, boards, and switches are checked in these chambers before launching in the market. This is because they can be damaged by many environmental factors such as humidity, temperature or corrosive environments.
Pharmaceutical industries use these chambers to verify the lifespan and shelf-life of medicine.
Medical devices are monitored under these chambers before use.
Military equipment is tested in these chambers to check if it can withstand harsh environments.
Telecommunication industries use these chambers to check their products in regard to altitudes.
Solar Power Plants
Solar panels are tested in environmental chambers to check if they can withstand a fluctuating environment or not.
The aerospace industry uses vacuum test chambers to check the working of their products in space.
Types of Environmental Chambers
There are three types of environmental chambers according to their size. These are:
Bench-top chambers are usually 0.5 cubic feet (15 cm) to 5.5 cubic feet (1.68 m). These are the smallest in size, and are used for commercial and industrial tests where a low temperature is required.
These are of size between 4 and 70 cubic feet (1.2 and 21.3 m). These can test for temperature, altitude, humidity, rain, solar and vibration.
These chambers are big enough to walk or even drive into. These are used to test large components, from computers to satellites.
Choosing the Right Environmental Chamber Supplier
For the most positive outcome when purchasing an environmental chamber from an environmental chamber supplier, it is important to compare several companies using our directory of environmental chamber suppliers. Each environmental chamber supplier has a business profile page highlighting their areas of experience and capabilities, along with a contact form to directly communicate with the supplier for more information or request a quote. Review each environmental chamber business website using our patented website previewer to quickly learn what each company specializes in. Then, use our simple RFQ form to contact multiple environmental chamber businesses with the same form.